Open Accessibility Menu

Women's Pelvic Health

Pelvic Disorder Treatment in Virginia & West Virginia

You may have experienced or heard from friends, mothers, or female relatives about the effects that time, age, or bearing children can have on a woman. For this reason, many women with pelvic floor disorder do not realize what they are dealing with because they believe it is a natural part of aging. The reality is that many women suffer from pelvic dysfunction unnecessarily, and in silence, enduring conditions that they may not know are treatable.

Some common symptoms of pelvic health challenges include:

  • Urinary incontinence while laughing, exercising, sneezing, etc. This is known as stress urinary incontinence
  • Overactive bladder
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Painful bladder
  • Feeling of pelvic floor heaviness

If you suffer from pelvic health issues, look to Valley Health for solutions. Many treatment options may be available, many of which are not surgical.

Treatment Options

Treatments for pelvic floor dysfunction include pelvic physical therapy (pelvic PT) and minimally invasive surgery. In pelvic PT, patients work with a licensed physical therapist who guides them through several exercises designed to strengthen the pelvic muscles. Pelvic PT can be recommended to women who are recovering from pelvic surgery, but it can also be applied before surgery and may even eliminate the need for an operation.

Many people think of Kegels when they imagine pelvic exercises, but pelvic PT is much more than this. The physical therapist will perform a full assessment of the patient’s condition and pelvic strength, as well as her medical history. The therapist will then come up with several different exercises that will strengthen the pelvic muscles. Throughout the program, tools will be used to monitor the patient’s progress and ensure that she is on track for the desired results.

Find a Gynecologist or Urogynecologist Near You

There are several pelvic specialists at Valley Health who can help you manage pelvic floor disorder. The first step is to speak up about your condition.

To find a doctor that can help, visit our physician finder and search for a gynecologist or urogynecologist.

Related Providers
Related Videos
Related Locations
Latest News