Open Accessibility Menu
Hide

Fireworks Safety

Fireworks Safety

Fireworks are a quintessential part of most July 4th celebrations. There’s something magical about watching the colors explode high up in the night sky and hearing the whistles, screeches, pops and booms, followed by appreciative murmurs and cheers.

Sparklers may seem harmless, but their metal burns at temperatures of 2,000 degrees or more. Sparklers can also catch on clothing and lead to burns. They are the most frequent cause of firework-related injury. Supervise your children if they use sparklers!

If you plan to use fireworks, not just watch a professional display, please pay attention and set a good example for children, young adults and friends. Each year thousands of people are injured, a small number fatally, by fireworks.

Valley Health emergency physicians encourage you to consider the impact of the heat and explosive energy of fireworks. Help prevent personal injury and property damage by following these common sense safety tips:

  • Know and obey your local laws. If fireworks are illegal where you live, do not use them.
  • Most pets are frightened or stressed by fireworks. Keep pets indoors to reduce the risk they'll run loose or get injured.
  • Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
  • Have a designated shooter who knows each firework, how it performs and how to safely light it.
  • Parents and caretakers, closely supervise teens if they are using fireworks. Do not allow young children to handle sparklers or other fireworks at all.
  • Sparklers may seem harmless, but their metal burns at temperatures of 2,000 degrees or more. Sparklers can also catch on clothing and lead to burns. They are the most frequent cause of firework-related injury. Supervise your children if they use sparklers!
  • Used fireworks should be soaked with water and placed in a nonflammable trash can outside, away from the house, garage, deck area or anything flammable.
  • Always have water ready, both in a bucket and in a charged hose, if you are using fireworks.
  • Wear eye protection (safety glasses) when using fireworks.
  • Only light one firework at a time.
  • Never re-light a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
  • Do not use homemade fireworks, professional fireworks (they’ll be wrapped in brown paper) or illegal explosives; they can kill you!

Click here for the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s info.

We hope your 4th of July celebration is fun, happy and safe!