Open Accessibility Menu
Hide

Auxiliary History

Page Memorial Hospital AuxiliaryPage Memorial Hospital Auxiliary (PMHA) may be unique in that it predates the hospital itself. In 1924, two groups of very determined women recognized the need for a hospital to care for the people in Page County. They banded together to achieve that result. Their first goal was to convince the “County Fathers” of this need and to raise the money. The early minutes record almost continuous benefit suppers, bazaars and parties along with sales of chickens, cream, sunbonnets, potholders and items to “chance off”. One bazaar netted $1,000 in a single day.

By 1928 these women had raised more than $15,000. A residential property was purchased and became an 8 bed hospital. By 1939 an operating room and more patient rooms had been added. In 1954 a movement was begun to build a new hospital. Community contributions, Auxiliary raised funds and Hill-Burton funds paid for a modern 45-bed hospital. Two additions provided 12 more beds, physical therapy and radiology departments, plus a coronary care monitoring system. The Auxiliary furnished 12 new rooms and bought new stress testing equipment. In 2014, they saw completion of a new 25 bed hospital across the campus. The Auxiliary pledged $100,000 toward this new hospital.

Auxiliary fundraising projects have included food booths at The Page County Industrial Fair and Heritage Festival, a gift display case in hospital lobby, a gift cart, vending machines throughout the hospital, Christmas Bazaar, Love Light Tree, Gold Tournament, Book Fair, Jewelry Sale, Uniform Sale, Silent Auction, Luncheon/Fashion Show, Gala Event, Purse Sale, Yard Sale and more. Auxilians have provided the following services to the hospital: information desk, health club (sponsored by the local high school), health career scholarships, bloodmobile assistance, mending linens, mail and flower delivery to inpatients, gift cart services to inpatients, taking meals to shut in patients, assisting in cholesterol, blood pressure and glucose screenings.

Beginning in 2000 the Auxiliary helped toward the purchase of:

  • New Dialysis Center
  • CT Scanner
  • Window shades for patient rooms
  • Air curtains for main entrances
  • Lobby entrance automatic doors
  • Laboratory refrigerator and freezer
  • Digital Mammography equipment
  • Transport vehicle and equipment
  • Pool lift for the PMH Fitness Center
  • Cardiac Rehabilitation Telemetry Monitoring System
  • Digital Personal Beeper system for Medical-Surgical personnel
  • Nuclear Medicine
  • Glide Scopes and Patient Controlled Analgesia Pumps
  • Pledged $100,000 toward new hospital

Ways Auxiliary has and continues to support its community:

  • Donates to the Page Free Clinic
  • Provides scholarship to Page County Technical Center Nursing Program
  • Donated to Reach Out & Read
  • Donated for cancer survivor Auxilians who have walked for Relay for Life
  • Purchased Patient Comfort Cart, CD player and CDs, books and provided handmade quilts etc for cart
  • Provides handmade cuddly toys for Emergency Room pediatric patients
  • Funded one screening mammogram per physician in Page County.