Wellspring: A Source for Living With Cancer
A service of Winchester Medical Center, Wellspring brings together healthcare, community, and supportive services to address the needs of the “whole” person experiencing cancer and other chronic diseases. The center, which opened in October 2006, can help patients and their families find resources they need.
Support services available at Wellspring include:
- Full-service hair salon
- Private room for post-mastectomy prosthesis fittings, offered in partnership with staff from Valley Home Care in the same building (by appointment)
- Massage therapy & Reiki, with a special sensitivity to cancer patients (by appointment)
- Information resource area with Internet access (assistance available if needed)
- The Wellspring Series, an opportunity for learning, sharing and support. Series of free educational programs offered February through October. Click here for information about the April 2014 program.
- Ripples, an opportunity for women with cancer to explore different ways to use the creative process for healing, and to network and connect with each other. Free and open to all women who have had cancer, the group meets monthly. Click here for information and 2014 dates.
- Support group meetings – click here for information about our support groups.
- Yoga classes – call us or click here for information about the next class.
Wellspring offers a care bag to all cancer patients, compliments of the Winchester Medical Center Foundation. The bag contains a water bottle, hand sanitizer, pocket planner, note pad and pen, pedometer, unscented hand cream, handmade pillow, Valley Health's STAR Program® Survivor Guidebook, our Medical Staff & Services Directory, and a copy of What Helped Me Get Through: Cancer Survivors Share Wisdom and Hope
by Julie K. Silver, MD. Patients should bring the coupon they receive from their doctor's office to Wellspring to pick up their care bag.
For people whose physical appearance and self-image are affected during treatment and recovery, Wellspring is a one-stop location for unique and practical items such as skin and hair care products, oral care supplies, lingerie and swimsuits for mastectomy patients, wigs and wig accessories, turbans, caps, hats and scarves. Gifts to lift spirits or show support are also available.
Wellspring has been designed to create a sense of peace and serenity, from the retail product display area to the more private areas. Those who need a few minutes of quiet can seek out the meditation space with its soothing water fountain and an area to sit and relax with a cup of tea.
Each autumn, Wellspring sponsors a breast health empowerment event.
Financial support for Wellspring provided by the Winchester Medical Center Foundation
Wellspring, a source for people living with cancer and other chronic illnesses, is located at 525 Amherst Street in Winchester, VA. Hours are Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call 540-536-4981.