Winchester Medical Center - A Magnet Hospital
Being a Magnet hospital means better outcomes, higher patient satisfaction and a transformed work environment that helps to create a culture that values excellent employees. The Magnet recognition is unarguably the gold standard in patient care. It provides our patients with the ultimate benchmark to measure the quality of care they can expect to receive.
Winchester Medical Center is one of only 15 hospitals in the state of Virginia to receive this prestigious designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program. Only approximately 15% of hospitals across the US can call themselves Magnet.
WMC was initially designed in 2008, and received re-designation in 2013. An organization that reapplies for Magnet recognition must provide documented evidence of how Magnet concepts, performance, and quality were sustained and improved over the four-year period since its initial designation.
The ANCC conducts thorough evaluations of hospitals seeking both initial recognition and re-designation, judging proficiency and leadership in the following five key areas that are considered global issues in nursing and healthcare:
1. Visionary leadership transforming the organization to meet changing needs
2. Empowered staff properly prepared to face all challenges
3. Competent, dedicated, and empowered nurses
4. Continued innovation within staff knowledge, clinical practice, and systemic improvements
5. Outcomes measurement systems in place throughout the entire organization